Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Heavenly Man


I am by no means what you would consider a "reader". I never have been. And having kids has sadly just made made my reading intake even worse. I'm doing really well if read five books in a year. And even better if I actually finish a few of them (pathetic, I know). Maybe because I was such an active, social kid, reading was never a priority, so I never really learned to enjoy it. I say all that to emphasize that when I recommend a book, it must be a pretty amazing book, to have held my attention all the way through.

This book pictured above, The Heavenly Man, was recommended to me by the interns serving in M28. After hearing such amazing reviews and knowing that it is a biography (my favorite kind of reading), I decided to buy it while at Rekindle. That was less than two weeks ago. And now I am almost finished!

This is a story about a Chinese pastor, named brother Yun, and his story of how he heroically served Christ while being persecuted in China. This book has had a profound impact on how I view my life, forcing me to take a good hard look at how I am living. I've been asking myself questions such as..."Is my goal in life truly to live for Christ and to make his name known, or am I seeking to live a comfortable Christian life instead?"

It has certainly served to make my perspective on life more Mission minded, something God has been already stirring in my heart (and Joe's). When I say "Mission minded", I'm not just talking about serving God in overseas missions (while I do value that). But to view all of my life through mission minded eyes. To see wherever God has placed me as a mission field, right down to my very neighborhood, cul-de-sac and home (I've got two unsaved little ones right here in my very house!). I find it sobering how easy it is for my own comfort and ease to become more of a priority to me than to live whole-heartedly for the Lord, even in the little things in life, such a being faithful to train my kiddos or to take the time to have my neighbor over for lunch. This book had helped me see my temptations towards living for myself, something I need to be reminded of on a regular basis!

It has also increased my view of the greatness of God, grown my faith in God to perform miracles, increased my love for scripture and increased my desire to pray for fellow believers who God has called to live in Nations where persecuting Christians is a very real thing.

I'm not even finished with the book yet, but thought it was too good to not mention. I hope you get a chance to read and may it do your soul as much good as it has my own!

No comments: