Friday, August 21, 2009

Now is the time...


"Now is the time to get things done...wade in the water, sit in the sun, squish my toes in the mud by the door, explore the world in a boy just four. Now is the time to study books, flowers, snails, how a cloud looks; to ponder ‘up,’ where God sleeps nights, why mosquitoes take such big bites. Later there’ll be time to sew and clean, paint the hall that soft new green, to make new drapes, refinish the floor - Later on...when he’s not just four." 
-Irene Foster



I read this quote today, and what a lovely reminder on a sad day. Life is short, and the time that my girls will be little and want to go on adventures, and splash in puddles, and chase butterflies and marvel at a dandelion are even shorter days. These are days filled with much joy! I pray that I can keep perspective on the days filled with more tantrums than laughter and more messes to clean than games that we play and days when not one thing seems to get checked off the to-do list. These days are precious. And they are numbered.

I know one day I will get to all of my to-do list, and my house will always be clean, I will actually tackle some projects and I will be able to finish my dinner without interruption. As good as those days will be (since every day is a gift from God, so it must be good),  I bet I'll be thinking about these days and missing them a lot.  What a precious season I am in, may I be grateful for each and every day!

2 comments:

Erin said...

That's awesome, Jeanie. Thank you for posting this. It's so encouraging!

JJandFive said...

You're doing a great job at delighting in your children, Jeanie. I know you've inspired me to keep things in perspective. I appreciate the reminder, and your example. ;)