Monday, March 31, 2008

Big Sister Woe's

Doesn't this look like the face of a wild child?? That is what we humerously call our sweet Alathea. Part of Joe's daily prayer for her when she was in my womb was that she would be full of life and vigor. Those are two words that describe her best! 

Alathea is one awesome big sister. She is always hugging and kissing Abigail. She calls her my baby. She's named all of her baby dolls "ga-gail". Yesterday morning I caught her laying in bed reading stories to Abigail, who seemed to be listening. I know that they will so enjoy each other as the years go on. I'm praying they will be best friends! 

But this past week it seems the pressures of being the big sister have gotten to be too much for Alathea :) We joke that she is having "toddler PMS". She is SO emotional. She'll cry over everything and the next minute be smiling and laughing. I know that her little sinful heart is on display through all of this and we have been trying to train her to be cheerful over the past year. It seems like it's difficult to always discern when to discipline for sinful attitudes and when to have compassion and give her a big hug. I'd love any thoughts :) 

Despite the 2 year old emotional roller coaster, Alathea is SUCH a JOY!!  She makes me laugh so hard everyday. We love her so much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanie,
You are doing a great job as a Mom. I have watched from distance and as I have seen on your blog...
Remember Alathea is adjusting too just as you and Joe are. It takes time, patience, and extra grace during this season of adjustment! I remember that with Ava. Now Isabel (9mo.) and Ava (3) are great friends. They love to make each other laugh and play together.
Be encouraged!! You are doing great!!

Shana said...

Hi Jeanie!
It's Shana Fowler (or Early as you might remember me). What a blessing it has been to have stumbled upon your blog! I have been reading it for hours and could not stop crying as I came upon the posts of your mom. What a godly woman she was! I have so many fond memories of her and your family. Now you have two beautiful girls, you are doing a great job as a wife and mother! So happy to see you are doing well.
Many blessings to you,
Shana