Saturday, May 26, 2007

Psalm 46

I am sitting here at my Dad's house right now while everyone is asleep and Joe is at New Attitude and I found my mind drifting to fearful thoughts about the future of the Bowers family without my Mom. It doesn't take much to get me down a fearful road regarding things in our future that are bound to change. The reality is that I sure do miss Mom. But what is equally as true is that I am not resting in and trusting in the Lord. I so easily forget His awesome character.

So tonight as I was heading down that "fearful 'what-if...' road", I felt the Lord reminding me of my need for truth. So I opened one of the most priceless treasures...the Bible that belonged to the only woman I've ever know who I respect as much as my Mom, my Grandmother- Eleanor Hennessey, who died an equally heroic death by cancer as my mom did, just three years prior. She was an incredible woman of faith (I guess it's no wonder my Mom was so incredible too..she had a wonderful example in her own mother, who by the way, raised eight children on her own when her husband died suddenly in his early 50's). I opened to a very well read section in Grandma's Bible (obvious through her markings)- Psalm 46. The Lord convicted my heart of fear and anxiety, and filled it with fresh faith and peace in an instant as I read it. God's Word is SO POWERFUL! If any of you are struggling with fear in any way...if you are forgetting who God really is, then I pray His Word will encourage you as much as it did me.

"God is our refuge and strength,
an ever present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though the waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging....

...The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress...

Come and see the works of the Lord...

Be still and know that I am God."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanie...thanks for your honesty in facing these areas of weakness and sin in your life. We do look to others who have gone before us and are encouraged by the grace and strength of the Lord in their lives. I know that I often think of how my grandmother influenced my life when I was younger, and she died when I was a teenage. At the time I was a Christian, but had no clue of God's grace and mercy and the depth of His love for me, but God has graciously and frequently brought her example to mind and encouraged me through her strength and faithfulness to Him. I want you to know that I am also encouraged by you...a younger woman...who recognizes how much she needs the Lord. Thanks for sharing...I'd love to spend time getting to know you better as God allows! Have a great time in MD and enjoy how God is so graciously using this time to continue to encourage you and reveal Himself to you whether it is in the moments that you are anxious, or sad because you miss your mom, or you miss your husband or you are just enjoying all of your friends and family there. He is kind and gracious and does not leave us wanting. May you be blessed even more each day! Robin Miracle

Anonymous said...

i miss you
Come home soon
Kath

Denise said...

Wow, Jeanie, I'd been away from my computer for a few days and missed this.

You're so honest about sharing your struggles and yet you know right where to get Truth. That passage from Psalms is a great reminder of the works of the Lord and why we don't need to fear! I often find my solace and strengthened faith in the Pslams, because I too struggle a LOT with fear over the future at times!

Love ya girlie! You've got some SPEICAL pictures here!