Thursday, June 25, 2009

On the Mend


We just spent the past three days in the hospital with Abigail, who on Tuesday woke up throwing-up, and by the end of the day was severely dehydrated. I took her to the doctors Tuesday afternoon, after they wanted her to come in to get an IV since she hadn't kept any fluids down all day. But after 20 minutes in the office, the doctor seemed worried as Abigail became more and more lifeless. Our doctor wanted me to take Abigail to the hospital immediately (her preference was by ambulance, but I convinced her to allow me to drive her myself). 

To make a long story short, after just 8 hours of Abigail vomiting, we ended up at the Levine Children's Hospital. At that point she could barely keep her eyes open and couldn't lift her head up and her heart rate had doubled. Any needles or poking that should have been painful, she did not even seem to notice. She just laid there lifeless. It was quite scary for a little bit.

But in the end she was just severely dehydrated and had some stomach bug that the hospital staff said they were seeing a lot of this week. It took Abigail two full days of IV to return to normal. Finally this morning, she sat up, smiled and played with toys for the 1st time in  three days! Praise the Lord! We left the hospital today around lunch time and Abigail and Alathea were SO HAPPY to see each other! It was very sweet.

I am quite tired after two nights of no sleep :) And I'm praying no one else in the family gets "this bug". We have been amazingly fortunate that the girls have not ever thrown up even once before this episode. I never imagined it could get serious so fast!

If you think of it, pray that Abigail has a quick and full recovery. And for Joe who has to speak Sunday morning :) And thanks to everyone who pitched in last minute to keep Alathea for us! Being at the Children's Hospital gave me even greater compassion for families who have children who are sick or with terminal illness. I am so grateful that our children have been healthy thus far and more prompted to pray for those who aren't.

2 comments:

kendra said...

poor baby girl!!!!
praying for you guys! Call me if you need any help tomorrow

Denise said...

Oh Jeanie, I'll definitely pray for her healing! Poor little one! I am so glad she got better, and that you guys were able to know quickly that she needed fluids.

Much love to you all!