Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bedtime Double Trouble

O Sleep, where have you gone?

The girls have been sharing a room since we returned from MD about 2 weeks ago. It's been so sweet watching how much they love the time together. But sleep has not been a high priority for them! I'd say it takes an average of at least 1 hour before they get any sleep. At first we allowed them to talk some, but 3 hours later (I am not kidding), we realized the foolishness of that. We've decided the sweet sister talks well into the night will need to come once they are a bit older (and we should have known that Abi was too young...she can only say 5 words!). But we do allow them to get plenty of time together in their beds in the morning! And its the sweetest thing hearing them wake up and "talk" for 20-30 minutes each morning, happy as can be!

We have moved to training Abi that she is to lay down at bedtime (she used to jump up and down in her crib calling for Alathea....for hours!!!) and Alathea is not allowed to talk anymore.  It's helped a little. But is also means Joe & I have to keep an ear on the monitor most of the night until the little  munchkins actually doze off. And we've gotta keep a close ear, for more than once we've  heard the slightest whisper and open the bedroom door to find Alathea out of bed hanging onto Abi's crib! Or we find a pile  of toys that have mysteriously appeared in Abigails crib. Alathea claims Abigail asked for them (remember, Abi can hardly talk) so she had to help her. On one hand it is so adorable that they want to be together, but on the other hand, Alathea has known for a year now she is not to get out of bed at night...and she's always happily obeyed in this, until now. Oh my. 

Quite early the other morning I peaked into the girls room to see if they both were still asleep. I found Alathea out of her bed, hanging onto the outside of Abigails crib, ever so softly rubbing her head. It was the sweetest sight ever (except for the fact that Alathea was not supposed to get out of bed). Abi kept lifting her head up, looking at Alathea, then laying it back down in exhaustion. I decided to address the issue of Alathea getting out of bed later that morning when they both we awake. When I asked Alathea if she had gotten out of bed that morning, she was honest and said yes. When asked why, she replied very seriously, "Because Abi needed her head petted". So sweet. Hard to argue with that reasoning.

That leads me to tonight...around 10pm I heard Alathea yelling "Mommy, come here!!" And as I opened the door, I found my Abigail crying hysterically and walking towards me. Wait a minute, how is she on the floor walking towards me... poor baby fell out of her crib!! Alathea was quite concerned and to her credit, I think had nothing to do with it. This was all on Abi. Poor baby was quite shaken up. I even saw a dent in a container on the floor next to where she fell. In the 27 months Alathea was in a crib, she never even attempted to get out. Abigail is in the crib not even 2 weeks, and she's already taken the plunge. What different girlie's they are! 

Once Abi was comforted, I laid her back in her crib. I'm making a guess that she won't be standing up or trying to climb out for a while after that fall! I haven't heard a peep from either of them since! (I must admit I keep going in and checking on Abi- to make sure no injury's have suddenly shown up since the fall!). 

Anyways, that is our bedtime update. I'd love any more suggestions from those who have gone before us! It's been a sweet,  yet sleepless few weeks!


4 comments:

Carolyn said...

We had our hands full for about two weeks when we put the kids in the room together...but of course they are a year older. For us the key was deciding on clear, simple rules and enforcing them. For Savannah, it was no getting out of bed. And for Wesley, it was no talking (even if Savannah made noise). We had to dole out quite a lot of discipline and I wasn't getting much rest at first, but they are doing well with it now, about 6 weeks later. You'll get there, stick with it!

Denise said...

Sisters are just too adorable! How many warnings and occasional spankings I remember getting for talking too much to my older sister Suzanne, who I shared a room with until I was 12! What awesome times! Even now when we visit, we talk too long. But you're right, at this age, it's not appropriate!

I hope Abi doesn't try to climb out again!!! Sounds like you're doing a great job trying to figure this out!

Anne said...

Aww, Jean Marie, I'm sorry you're having challenges getting the girls adjusted!

Once the wrinkles are ironed out sharing a room with your sister really is the greatest thing! It will always be a sanctifier as well as relationship builder though!

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha Jeanie those are the greatest stories everrr! They made me laugh pretty hard. They are just sooo cute!

Julie :)