Thursday, April 16, 2009

Aim at Heaven...

I read this quote yesterday:

"If you read history, you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were those who thought most of the next. The apostles themselves, who set on foot the conversion of the Roman Empire, the great men who built up the Middle Ages, the English who abolished the slave trade, all left their mark on Earth, precisely because their minds were preoccupied with Heaven. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this one. Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in'; aim at earth and you will get neither." 

-CS Lewis


After reading this my soul was greatly convicted- of how often my mind is preoccupied with things that matter only in this life on earth. How quickly I am prone to lose sight of eternity! But at the same time, my soul was so encouraged and inspired afresh to "aim at Heaven". To keep my eyes fixed on my Lord and the reality that Heaven is just a few short breaths away compared to the length of life on earth. I want to keep my eyes on what really matters for eternity, to keep myself from being preoccupied with the temporary. This is really a fight for me. But by God's grace I want to do all I can to keep my gaze on eternity, which will then mean my life will live for eternity. I've started by posting this quote on above my sink...a place a spend much time each day :) 


1 comment:

Shaynah Jerrell said...

thanks for this jeanie!!