Friday, November 21, 2008

Thankfulness and Alathea's Tree


This year has been a wonderful time to begin little traditions with our girls. There are many that Joe & I enjoy together, but now we've been trying to incorporate a 2 year old into them. This past month Alathea & I started her "Thankfulness Tree". She loved doing it and I was surprised how well she "got it". I think I tend to underestimate how much she can comprehend at such a young age! Every day I'd have her tell me something she was thankful for and I'd write it down, have her color it, and then let her add it to the tree. I purposefully did not prompt her in anything- I really wanted to see how her little mind thought. It was hard to keep quiet when after a week I hadn't made it on the tree yet!!! The sweetest thing was when she was adding the leaf that said "God" on the tree she insisted it go on the biggest branch because, "God is soooo big!" she said! And then she put Daddy on the tree, and he got the next biggest branch, as she said, "Daddy's big too. But God is sooooo big" (she apparently doesn't know how to say bigger or biggest :). I love little windows into her mind like this! She is such a blessing to me! I am so grateful I get to be her mamma. (or "Mom-Mom" as she's been calling me lately).
Happy Thanksgiving!!! Enjoy your many blessings!

2 comments:

kendra said...

i still love that candy and her bed made it on there. and abi did twice...

just waiting for the kenni leaf

JJandFive said...

Great idea!