Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sweet Talks with Alathea






My little Alathea has grown into such a big girl lately. I guess that is what happens when my baby is 2 1/2 now! The growing has brought out a temper and selfishness I'm sure that is typical to most 2 year olds, but it has also brought out this sweet, tender, compassionate heart. Especially towards her Mommy.

The other day I was sitting in Alathea's room helping her to clean it up and out of no where she looked at me with this overly concerned face and said, "You miss your mommy, mommy?"

 It took me a second to realize she really said what I thought she said. I replied, "Do you mean Nana?"

 She said, "Yeah, Nana, your Mommy gone now. You miss your mommy." At this point she came closer to me sitting on the floor and put her little hand on my shoulder. 

I said, "Yes Mommy misses her Mommy very, very much. Do you know where she is now?"

 Without hesitation Alathea said, "Nana in Heaven with God singing Hallelujah. Nana is happy now!" 

Wow, its amazing to realize she's been really understanding me when I tell her that. I then told her, "You're right! Nana is in Heaven worshipping God now! And you know she would love to see you in Heaven one day. But first you have to turn from your sins and love God as your Lord and Savior. She prayed that you would do that one day."

 Alathea really listens to the Gospel in times like this. I'm sure she doesn't get it, but I bet little baby seeds are planted. Then we talked about when Mommy is sad that Alathea's hugs make me feel much better, to which she jumped on me and gave me the biggest squeeze ever. Moments like this make being a Mom the greatest job on earth!

9 comments:

LeahHawkins said...

You make me cry Jeanie! THat is so sweet!

Shawnda said...

That made me cry! So, so, so precious!!!!

Campbell said...

Jeanie, that just communicates how your hopefull spirit in times of grief is noted by your little "Yay-Yay." I praise God for your faith-filled example to your girlies and all those you come into contact with. Thank you for loving our Savior and setting this example. You are treasured!

your "new" friend - Em (wink)

Ashley said...

Jeanie, this is wonderful. Not many 2 1/2 year olds are so aware of feelings of others around them and understand that Nana is in heaven praising the Lord! You and Joe are doing a wonderful job pointing Alathea to the cross. Such a sweet story!

kendra said...

JEANIE!!! WOW
You are so faithful to teach her truth. I respect that so much in you
I love this story, you, and my girls

Rebecca said...

What a moment to treasure! I cried as I read it. Thanks for sharing that...and great pictures, by the way!

Denise said...

This really was, as everyone else has said, an amazing story to share. Alathea has a sensitive heart that IS hearing the Gospel and you ARE planting tiny seeds. Just as she hears you talk about your mother and how much you love her, miss her, and yet how she's rejoicing in heaven, she is hearing about a Savior who loves her and died for her, and she needs him. This is awesome! She's such a cute little girlie-girl!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is SO amazing and sweet!

Anonymous said...

Wow Jeanie! Reading that made me want to be a mom (or 'mam' as they say here:) so much!

What a wonderful example you are!