Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Alathea's boo-boo

It all started on Monday morning when Joe graciously allowed me & Alathea to go on a little "date" together. We stopped by starbucks first- she ate a cookie and me a chai, we played "connect four" then headed off to the Davis Lake park. After playing on the play ground, then feeding the ducks, we walked back to the car. Alathea was in her silly mood and decided it would be fun to "chase" Mommy...so we kinda played tag. That was until I heard Alathea screaming and laying on the ground. I went back to assess the damage and noticed a skinned knee. Normally a quick kiss would calm her down and we'd move on. Not this time. This may as well have been a broken femur. She was hysterical. I decided it was time to head home. I also thought if the old momma kissing the boo-boo didn't work, than maybe a band--aid would magically heal her.
Needless to say she cried the whole way home. Then after I carried her inside she collapsed into Joe's arms. She buried her head in his shoulder and kept saying "Dada- Yay-Yay boo-boo"! Joe took her to the kitchen to put a band-aid on her and she freaked out!! Maybe the band-aid reminded her of a shot?? We ended up giving Abigail a "sympathy" band-aid per Alatheaa;s request. Anyways, we prayed for God to heal her and she sytopped crying. But for the next hour leading up to nap time she didn't move from Joe's lap.
Naptime came and we laid her down and Joe & I had a good laugh about the whole thing thinking it was over. Well...a few hours later and I heard a very concerned Alathea yelling for me from her room. I went in and she was still laying completely down in her bed. Normally she's standing and jumping up and down when I get her from her crib. I thought this was odd and asked her what was wrong and she pointed to her knee saying "Yay-yay boo-boo". I asked her if she could at least sit up and she cried and cried. Apparently she thinks she is crippled by this skinned knee! So I picked her up and carried her to our room. So once again she hung out with Joe in our bed and read stories with him, not moving at all.
We figured she would be "healed" within the hour since it was date night. She was going to Kat-kat's house where our babysitter was. We knew for certain she'd get up and chase Kathryn around. Especially since she thinks all of Kathryn's toys belong to herself. But when we got home, our sitter said she didn't move at all the entire evening!! Our sitter simply lifted her from the couch to the pack-n-play at bedtime. We couldn't believe it! By morning she'd certainly forget about the whole thing...but NO! She was still quite hysterical about this boo-boo. I actually started wondering if she chipped her knee, because nothing could get her to walk. If we tried to get her to stand up she'd have jell-o legs and start crying. So once again she sat on our bed reading stories and playing with Abigail. After about 3 hours of not moving from the same spot she kept asking for more toys and books or to watch a movie. After I declined a number of times I think she got bored...and at 10:38am on Tuesday morning, exactly 24 hours after her skinned knee occurred, she looked at me, stood up and said very excitedly, "Mama! Yay-yay can walk again!!" This picture was taken 5 minutes later...
Needless to say we got a good laugh out of it all!!

I'm in MD now- a HUGE CONGRATS to my Sis who just graduated from High School today!! I'm soooooo proud of you Julie!!! We're headed to Holden Beach in the morning!!! Pray for safe travel and a sweet time with both the Bowers and Lechner Family's (Joe's whole fam too).

8 comments:

Kat Toms said...

first of all... jeanie you are amazing for being able to capture all this by camera

secondly.... i don't think i've laughed so hard in a long time. alathea is just a one of a kind spitfire of a little girl. and i miss being able to spend time with you girls.

tell her that miss katherine thinks she's very funny and very beautiful.

Robin said...

welcome to the world of the little "drama queens" -- Chelsey used to do that when she was little and well, I think even up into double digits!!! Once, she was on the swing and fell off, (about age 3) and she came running to the house screaming as loud as she could as if death were chasing her and her dad asked her what was wrong. She said she fell off of the swing. He brushed her knees off...and told her it was just dirt. She immediately stopped crying, said ..."oh, okay" and turned around and ran back to the swing and continued to play. Other times when there was actually visible blood, she wouldn't bend her knee, she would limp be pitiful for a day or two and then she was on to the next adventure. And splinters....forget about it!!! Keep taking those pictures, keep enjoying every moment...they go by too quickly!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jeanie, I'm Lulu from China, I like reading your daily stories. You are really a happy lady with sweet husband and pretty kids, I admire you so much.
May you be happy everyday!!:)

kendra said...

that is awesome.
Her faces are priceless...
it must have been tragic if she couldn't even play with kat-kat!!

Love you ladies

The Nilsen Nest said...

That will be a great story to share with her when she gets older!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I've never heard of such a thing. LOL

Denise said...

Have fun at the beach! That's pretty funny what a drama queen Alathea was....

Anonymous said...

hi,i saw your blog on erin dunham's list (she's my sis in law)and i just wanted to tell you that your girls are about the cutest girls i've ever seen! they're beautiful. God Bless!
-stephanie