Sunday, December 16, 2007

Happy 18th Birthday, Julie!


Today is my beautiful, vibrant sister Julie's 18th Birthday!! Its very hard for me to believe that she is 18 already! When I was her age I was engaged...yikes! Anyways, next to my mother, there is no woman I know of who is more worthy of honor than my sister. I've told her time and again that she is one of my Heroes- and how often is that said of a younger sister? Julie is an amazing combination of joy, faith, compassion, friendliness and fun all rolled up into one person. Her love for the Lord, her love for life and her love for people is contagious. Her faith is amazing. Her Joy is constant as it is founded in the Lord alone. Julie has a depth to her relationship with the Lord that I have NEVER seen in anyone her age. Since she was 8 years old, her Mother has battled cancer. When she was 16 years old, her mother died. While Mom was her best friend, Julie has learned what it means to lean on the Lord and to make him her refuge and strength as she walks through life at such a young age without a mom. Julie has never once complained or charged the Lord...she know's that He is Soveriegn, trusts in him and is able to have Joy in the midst of her pain. Julie has seen first hand the brevity of life, which had created quite the little evangelist- she has shared the Gospel many, many, many times with those whom she works with or plays soccer with. Christians and non-Christians are drawn to her vibrant personality, which has given her many opportunities to share the good news. At only 18 years old, Julie can honestly say she is living her life to the fullest for the Lord. While you'll never meet a more "popular" girl- or a girl who has more friends than Julie does, she spends a good chunk of her free time reaching out to those who are younger than her, taking high school freshman girls out to lunch once a week, or eating lunch at school with those who have no one else to sit with. I LOVE this about Julie! Her eyes are never on herself... she is always looking to how she can bless and serve others.
All of this is said, without mentioning yet the fabulous sister and friend she is to me, and Aunt "Ju-Ju" to Alathea. There is nothing as special and wonderful as a sister!! And Alathea adores Ju-Ju....hardly a day goes by where Alathea doesn't ask to call her.
Jules- I love you, sis! And I respect you more than you'll ever know! Thanks for honoring the Lord and Mom's legacy by the way you are living whole-heartedly for the Lord! Thank you for the way you love His Word, prayer, God's people and the lost! I love you dearly and Happy Birthday! I'm sure Mom's celebrating big in Heaven for you today!!

3 comments:

Robin said...

That is a wonderful tribute! Thanks for faithfully taking time to honor those who are so dear to you! What an encouragement. And Julie...Happy Birthday if you are reading this. I know you don't know me, but what a testimony! Thanks for being a wonderful example to others and for loving the Lord and showing it!

Julie Bowers said...

Jeanie,
I agree...Julie is an awesome daughter!! God has over blessed me with 3 terrific children!!
Love you!!
dad xxoo

Chavia said...

Awww Happy Birthday Jules! You are such an example as your sister said, especially of always being joyful. Keep running hard after Him, He will NEVER dissapoint you:)