Saturday, July 17, 2010

.three.





It's been three weeks now since Ava's birth and I can still hardly wrap my brain around the fact that we are parents to three beautiful little girls. Three kids sounds like a serious family. I thought having a mini-van made me feel grown up, now I feel like I'm a serious grown up! (Although I tried to by fireworks at the grocery store on the 4th with no ID and they didn't believe me that I was really over 18...haha!).

As much as I'd like to stay a kid forever myself, I wouldn't trade being a Mom to these three little ones for the world. But I must say that going from 2-3 kiddos hasn't been without some seriously "stretching" moments. I like to call it "growing pains"...when you enter a new season of life that requires the Lord to grow your capacity...its not without some bumps or pains along the way.

Going from 1-2 kids was a very challenging transition for me, far more than 2-3 has been. But I've still been surprised by how many changes and unique challenges adding a 3rd little one to our family has brought about.

For example...

*I didn't realize how out numbered Joe & I would feel as parents. We went from a comfortable "man to man" defense to "zone" and I think we're still having to work out the kinks in the game plan.

*I'm sad that I no longer can hold all my children at once. I've tried many different ways, but its really, really difficult to have three little ones on your lap at the same time. (I can't even count how the times they all three want me at the same time).

*I'm pleasantly surprised at how Alathea & Abigail's relationship has only grown deeper adding another sister. They really are best buddies (which is totally sweet to watch). But I had NO idea that they'd also turn into "double trouble" as we like to call it. Abigail has been little miss trouble since she could walk, but Alathea never used to attempt the things they are doing together now. We still aren't sure who the brain is behind their stunts, but somehow they give each other the courage when attempting things together. I'm learning that nursing the baby and the house being silent at the same time is a very, very bad combination (meaning...find the big girls now).

* I never expected to hear the question, "Mom, are we going to keep Ava?" Alathea seriously wanted to know the other day. I told her, yes, we were definitely planning on keeping her. Then asked what else might we do with her little sister? She replied without skipping a beat, "Give her to Miss Liz". She informed me that Miss Liz (her most favorite Liz Connolly who lives across the street) needed a baby, and that we should ask her if she wanted Ava. But that we needed to wait until "Mike" (her husband) wasn't around. Fortunately I think I've straightened things out with Alathea and she is totally fine with us keeping Ava :)

* I had no idea how having a newborn would make Abigail seem so, so grown up. Like overnight. I headed to the hospital with Abi as my baby girl, and now she seems like 2 years older.

* I never expected that adding a 3rd little one would require Alathea to instantly have to grow up. She really misses riding in the stroller (and I think would be happy if I bought a triple stroller). And she is lonely all the way in the back of the van by herself. But she's an amazing help...getting diapers for me and snacks for Abi. I'm so grateful she's my first born.


* I never in a million years imagined I could completely forget to feed my baby. Especially with her screaming for 45 minutes straight! Seriously, the other afternoon I could not figure out how to comfort Ava...I thought I had tried everything...I even gave her a bath, which usually always soothes her. Poor thing would not stop crying. It never once crossed my mind she could be hungry. I know that sounds crazy!! I'm telling you, my brain is not working right! It finally hit me that right when she started crying was when she was due to eat. Poor little baby. I felt terrible, and now am trying to offer to feed her right away when she cries, just in case I forgot a feeding again :)

* I never thought it possible to be scared to be left alone with my own kids. I know that sounds terrible, but I was genuinely fearful the night before I had the kids all day by myself! I also cried when Joe went back to work. God did sustain me, and I'm learning to rely completely on him throughout the day. And I'm hoping with the Lord's help I'll eventually get the hang of this.

* I never thought it was possible to feel this tired yet still (somewhat) function. The past three weeks of very little sleep has added new meaning to "Gods grace is sufficient and his power is made perfect in weakness".

* I always expected that my babies would progressively get easier. That had been the case so far. (Abigail was soooo easy as a baby). But we've got our most challenging baby on our hands right now (mix that with our most challenging toddler and its been quite the combo!). Ava isn't a difficult baby, but I also wouldn't call her super easy either. I think if we could get her to sleep better at night (she still is having trouble sleeping soundly between nightly feedings) she'd be a little angel :)

* I also never imagined I could possibly love Joe more. But this not-so-easy tranistion season has only caused me to fall more in love with him. He has served me and the girls so joyfully. He comes home and gives himself fully to playing with the big girls, helping me with the baby, cleaning up the house...basically loving and serving his family, despite his own fatigue. He brings so much joy to our family and knows how to make me laugh even when I'm so tired that on my own I'd want to cry. I simply love living life with him. I'm a very grateful woman.


Well, that's just the tip of the iceberg! I don't want to bore you with too many of my "discoveries" as a new mom to three. Let's just say I'm expecting there to be a huge learning curve. I'm adding things back into my life slowly am just starting to peek back into the outside world. As much work as it is, these past few weeks have been some of the sweetest of my entire life. I don't think Joe & I have ever yawned and smiled so much simultaneously as we have these past few weeks :)


1 comment:

Annie Zimbelman said...

The basket that runs under the stroller is a great place for the third. The diaper bag strap fits over the stroller handle so you don't really NEED that space under there for anything but a sleepy toddler(she'll fit)...:-)