Thursday, December 03, 2009

Sad, sweet little girl

I've done a poor job of talking to my girls about my Mom this past week. Given that its her birthday week and Christmas is approaching, its easier to not bring up such an emotionally charged topic. But out of the blue, Alathea must have mentioned "Nana" (my Mom) 5-6 times yesterday. It was really sweet. Like a little gift from God, a reminder that she won't be forgotten. But tonight, Oh my, I don't even know where to start. As I was putting the girls to bed Alathea began SOBBING. Really sobbing, with her face buried in her sheets. I asked her what was wrong and she cried, "I Miss Nana". So sweet. She went on to tell me (through her tears) that she wanted to see Nana today. She wanted to "go to Nana's house and have her hold me and I can lay in her bed like when I was a baby". (How she knows she'd lay in bed with Mom for hours when she was only a few months old, I have no idea). When I gently reminded her that Nana had died and is now with Jesus, she started sobbing again, this time uncontrollably, saying, "But I don't want Nana to die!!! I  want to see her!!" Oh my, just so sweet and tender. Alathea can be a drama queen, but this was no act, I could tell she was completely genuine. The next 10 minutes were the sweetest ever, as I held her, and held back tears myself, and tried to comfort my little 3 year old in the realities of death, but also the truth and glories of Heaven. And how one day, if she gives her heart and life to Jesus, she can see her again. After that she asked, "And then will Nana die again?" It brought great joy to my own heart to happily assure her that no, Nana will never die again, and that she is happy, dancing and singing with Jesus right now. That really made Alathea smile. Then she'd bury her head in my shoulder again and sob. This means so much to me...my girls really know who my Mom is, even though she only lived until Alathea was 6 months old. Alathea knows "honey" (her bunny) was from my Mom, and that Abigail's middle name is Kathleen, after my Mom. And tonight they loved looking at this picture of my Mom kissing Alathea when she was 3 months old that is hanging in their room. Abi even said, "Nana!" tonight. Warms my heart and saddens it at the same time. 

It does make me wonder if my Mom's death will be a wonderful avenue to bring the Gospel to life in my girls eyes at young ages. I sure pray that it is so! Wouldn't that be a wonderful way of God working all things for good. 

2 comments:

The Nilsen Nest said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing it. What sweet little gifts your girls are! Praying for you in this hard time. Love you friend!

Courtney said...

Hi Jeanie,

I'm julie's friend from maryland and your mom was my soccer coach. I cried as I read your post. How touching. I've been thinking about your mom these past few weeks and missing her and just in awe at how amazing it is that her one life has affected so many people including your daughters and my own life. I will always remember your mom for how much she loved her Savior, and how she never stopped trusting in his love. She is one of my heroes. Your unwavering trust in God's goodness brings Him and your mom much pleasure. ~Courtney Minard