Friday, September 22, 2006

"Nana"






Yesterday marked the one month anniversary of my mom's death. I still miss her more with each passing day. She was the most remarkable woman! I am SO grateful for every day & every memory I had with her. The only thing that is harder than the thought of me missing her, is the thought of Alathea missing her beloved "Nana". Literally until her dying breath my mom LOVED & CHERISHED my little girl. She called Alathea her "Happy Pill"..."She's better than any pain medication", mom would say (and I was a witness, it was true!). Mom flew down to Charlotte to be here for the first two weeks of Alathea's life. She did that despite the fact that she had a kidney bag and had been in and out of the hospital at least once a month for the past five months. She served me so much that week! Alathea & I made nine trips to MD with in the six months of Alathea's birth to Mom's death (Thanks to Joe being so selfless!). Mom enjoyed every aspect of being a grandmother...she'd rock her to sleep when she was strong enough, gave Alathea her first bath, her first baby food, taught her to roll-over and even went to her first doctors appointment. Mom's favorite part of the day was "Alathea-Nana" time which was as soon as they both woke up in the morning. She'd read her books, and "talk" & play with her. Mom enjoyed this all the way until her last few days of life. Mom out-lived all life expectancies placed on her...there's not a doubt in my mind my little baby played a part in that. Even when mom was unresponsive the last three days of her life, when Alathea would giggle and play next to her in bed, mom would crack a smile. She was enjoying her precious grandbaby until her dying breath. Memories of Nana will live on through stories, video's, pictures, letters and the legacy of faith she's imparted into all who knew her. I pray daily for my baby girl's Salvation because I cannot wait until the day I get to see Nana & Alathea meeting again in Heaven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeanie, you are such a gifted writer! i really liked this post. you pretty much made me cry... cause i already miss mom SO much but no you made me miss althea too!! haha.. i love you :)